[PD] detect character in a symbol?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Aug 10 18:07:37 CEST 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, João Pais wrote:

> - I couldn't understand how to go from x/y (x and y being any natural
> numbers) to any other string format that I could use with [sel]. as I
> understood, string replace doesn't take spaces or expressions like "a "
> as parameter. In the cases I'm thinking of, the character to be detected
> is always in the middle. For now I'm using charaters / and :, like 7/8
> or 1:13.

You said you wanted to detect, not split. Replacing a character by a space
does not split a symbol in several elements (but it does if you know how
to take advantage of pd's traditional bugs). Otherwise use [s2l] or [l2s].

> - this would be for the "famous" patch that I'm sending around. Since
> it's for non-pd users, I should limit myself to pd-ext objects

If it's for non-pd users, you should limit yourself to non-pd objects. I
mean, if they end up using your patch, they will be some kind of pd user,
albeit one that we don't see so often so far.

> or I would have to ship gridflow with it, which might not be legal
> (don't know),

ah, thanks for the feedback. (??)