[PD] Object List (was: Re: [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 05:47:39 CEST 2010

--- On Mon, 8/16/10, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:

> From: João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] [FM Discuss] Portuguese translation of the PD manual
> To: "Mathieu Bouchard" <matju at artengine.ca>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at, discuss at lists.flossmanuals.net
> Date: Monday, August 16, 2010, 1:14 AM
> >> - but anyway Pd's operating
> language is (and it will be for much time)
> >> english. Since all help files are in english, it's
> not possible to go beyond
> >> a certain level in Pd without coping with this.
> >
> > Do you mean it's not possible to translate help files
> ?
>
> I guess it should be as possible as to translate anything
> else. but since the "official language" is english, and all
> attached documents are english, don't know how is feasible
> to translate everything and keep things updated in any other
> language. unless many people have lots of free time.
>

> >> Having the object list in english slowly makes
> people get used to this
> >> reality
> >
> > Having the object list translated slowly makes people
> get used to the
> > possible future of translated help files.
>
> guess so. be my guest, I'm not stopping anyone. just don't
> waste all the time and energy in any uncoordenated effort,
> leaving in the end lots of scattered information.
>

> >> - I compiled this object list, and am fed up with
> it - it had to
> >> be done with copy-paste.
> >
> > I have made a tool to maintain an object list in
> several languages. It's
> > what was used to generate gridflow/doc/index.pd.
> Currently I use it only
> > for a single language, but it's already easy to plug
> alternate languages
> > into it, and it sorts the object list alphabetically
> and keeps everything
> > aligned, with the same spacing all over.
> >
> > Just to make sure : by object list I mean something
> with short
> > descriptions, as found when right-clicking in the
> background of a canvas.
> > You mean the same thing, right ?
>
> yes. http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PureData/, "LIST OF
> OBJECTS"
>

> >> this list is, in theory, already obsolete 5
> minutes after being done.
> >> There are always new objects,
> >
> > I don't think that there ought to be a single
> centrally-maintained list.
>
> that was the state of Pd externals before Pd-ext appeared,
> and no one knew exactly how many and which objects were
> available. I don't imagine having things scattered around to
> be of advantage to any users or programmers out there.
> something similar would logically apply to a general object
> list, I haven't heard anyone complaining about the effort
> I've made in making a big (unfinished) list of objects.

> > also don't think that it ought to be in a format that
> makes you think
> > something like "it's obsolete 5 minutes after being
> done" : a minor update
> [...]

Here's an object list I dynamically created, relying on the
PDDP tags that I added to each patch.

http://puredata.info/Members/jwilkes/object-list/view

It makes use of
pddp/helplink (although I'm finding that for objects that all
share a common help patch, like [cos] and [sin], helplink
doesn't work).  It's in order of file name, so it's not quite
alphabetical.

But rather than a big static list, I'd like to see a nice
object search function that can generate a list relevant to the
user.  (Especially when searching for externals.)

-Jonathan