[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 16 09:18:01 CEST 2010

On 2010-08-15 22:53, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to play some mpeg4 and h.264-encoded video files with
> pix_film in Ubuntu 10.04, and it is terribly slow: it reads about 4-5
> frames per second and eat 100% of the CPU.

it seems like a missed the information about the exact version of Gem.

apart from that:

Gem has about 5 different backends available on linux for video decoding.
3 of those are generic backends which support loads and loads of
different formats and can be extended with codec plugins.

thus "ubuntu 10.04" is definitely not enough information.
we need to know at least which backends are enabled on your system (you
get that information the first time you create a [pix_film] object).
then we need to know which libraries you have installed to support these
codecs (e.g. if you have the QT4L backend enabled, which version of
libquicktime/libquicktim4linux do you have installed).
it's probably enough to send the output of
$ ldd /path/to/Gem.pd_linux

finally:

is it really [pix_film] that is so slow?
what happens if you disconnect anything _below_ [pix_film]? any change
in performance?

fgamsdr
IOhannes