[PD] slipenc/dec

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 23 17:17:04 CEST 2010

hi.
for transmitting OSC over TCP/IP i thought about using slip (rather than
[(un)packOSCstream] [1]).

now martin has already done this, but unfortunately i'm not very
satisfied yet.
probably i misunderstand something, but some things just don't work for
me (even in the help patch):

encoding [1 2 3 4( results in [192 1 2 3 4 192( (fine), and decoding
this results in [1 2 3 4( (great), but why do i get an error:
"slipdec_list: dropped 1 bytes after packet" ???
<snip>
in: 192 1 2 3 4 192
valid: 1
decoded: 1 2 3 4
slipdec_list: dropped 1 bytes after packet
</snip>

the example has [192, 1, 219, 220, 192( which 'should give 1 192', but
really is only decoded to [192(.
<snip>
in: 192
in: 1
valid: 0
in: 219
in: 220
valid: 1
decoded: 192
in: 192
</snip>
sending the data as a single list, get's me the correct [1 192(, but
again with the "dropped 1 bytes after packet" error.

other single serialized lists won't work at all, e.g. sending the first
example as [192, 1, 2, 3, 4, 192(, will give me no result at all
<snip>
in: 192
in: 1
valid: 0
in: 2
valid: 0
in: 3
valid: 0
in: 4
valid: 0
in: 192
</snip>

obviously this defeats the purpose of the object a bit (after all, it's
meant to reassemble broken up packages).

i thought, it should be able to decode
[1, 192, 2 3, 4, 5 192 6, 192(
 into
[2 3 4 5, 6(
(dropping the leading 1, as the line is unintialized)

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[1] i really find the slip approach more convincing when it comes to
lost packages; with un/packOSCstream you must never miss the beginning
of the stream, else you are lost forever...