[PD] FTM for PD

Norbert Schnell Norbert.Schnell at ircam.fr
Mon Sep 6 11:42:46 CEST 2010

Hi Thomas,

On 3 sept. 10, at 13:42, Thomas Grill wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'd like to ask about the current state of FTM for PD.
> From looking into the SVN repo it's obvious that a considerable
> amount of work has already been put into it, but it doesn't compile
> right away, so i'm not sure if it's still maintained or if there's
> anything more fundamental missing.

Yes, I think the latest state of the development of FTM for Pd was
already pretty close (since the last adaptations to Max 5 we probably
took back a little distance).
But no, we have currently no plans to develop this further.

In fact, I didn't have the impression, that Pd "needs" FTM very much,
since there are other approaches for handing "complex" data structures.

For what concerns the Gabor and MnM libraries, that have certainly
some interesting functionalities that would be worth having in Pd, I
also could imagine alternative ways to integrated them into Pd (as
well as into Max/MSP/Jitter) relying on the data structures that are
already existing in these environments.

> For me, only the underlying FTMlib and the ftm.object and ftm.mess
> objects are really required.

Can you develop more on this point?

Best
N.