[PD] Guitar distortion (Chebyshev?)

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 16:31:37 CEST 2010

Hi List!

I have been playing a bit with SoundHack +Chebyshev external, hoping that i
could get a nice distorted sound for my guitar. Leaving aside the fact that
the parameters are quite difficult to use, i m faced with a few problems.
One issue is that it seems to sound good only when the amplitude of the
sound is close to 1, which is obviously not the case for a raw guitar sound.
Anything that gets above 1 induces a very harsh burst of noise. I have tried
a compressor (the one that comes with the SoundHack bundle), but doesn't
seem to be able to behave as a limiter, since the compression ratio cannot
go to infinity. Does anybody know of a good sounding compressot that could
work as a limiter?
More generally, i m not sure if i m headed in the right direction. What i
want to do is something like:

Guitar adc ---> compressor ---> Chebyshev distortion ---> hip~ 5 to remove
DC component ---> dac to amp

I m not sure whether this is the right way of dealing with guitar
distortion. I m not sure Chebyshev polynomials is the right waveshaping
technique either. I ve found this (
http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1162/comj.2009.33.2.85), in which
several waveshaping techniques are mentioned, I don't know if anybody has
any experience with these?

I m not trying to model an amp here, i m only interested in modeling a
distortion unit. There is a thread in the archives, but i'd be interested in
getting some fresher thoughts upon the subject...

Pierre