[PD] GUI speed

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Oct 5 11:39:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:02 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>
>> Is there already some benchmarks of the new puredata gui? Would be
>> nice to have it.
>
> It's nowhere close to being a rewrite : essentially, all of the code
> that you would benchmark has almost not changed since Pd 42.

Matju, its really not helpful to anyone for you to keep talking like
this. So I guess I spent of month or more of coding to do nothing,
according to you, because somehow it doesn't meet your definition of
rewrite.

Everything related to the GUI was not rewritten.  The whole body of
the Tcl code that's not embedded in the C code was rewritten.  Much
code was taken from the old Tcl code and refactored into the new
(mostly iemgui stuff).  This is the first phase.  The next phase is
rewriting the pd --> pd-gui message API so that pd sends Pd messages
to the GUI and not Tcl code.

 From what I have seen, the big problem is that pd currently generates
massive amounts of Tcl code when drawing things like array boxes.
This needs to be sent over the network, parsed, compiled, and then
run. That's a lot of overhead IMHO.  The pd --> pd-gui messages should
not require new code to be parsed/compiled/run.  To me, once I found
this out, I was impressed at how fast the Tcl interpreter seems to be.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during
that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big
Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General Smedley Butler