[PD] [GEM] limit of pic size to pix_image ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 27 18:51:33 CEST 2010

On 2010-10-27 18:39, Luka Princic // Nova deViator wrote:

> hi,
>
> is there a limit to what max size an image can be so that pix_image can
> load it? i'm trying to load an 400M png. does this depend on memory on
> graphic card? where can i find what is the limit?

pix_image itself does not impose any limitations.
however:
 - the image is loaded into ram, so your uncompressed (RGBA!) image must
be small enough to fit into ram
 - the image-loading backend might have a limitation (and it might use
more memory while loading the image than is required to store the
uncompressed image); this might depend on the image-loading backend you
are using (on linux this is usually imagemagick)
 - your gfx-card will have problems texturing images that are bigger
than a hw-dependent size. you can query it by calling
glGetFloat(GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE), e.g.

[gemhead]

[GEMglGetFloatv GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE]

(this will give the maximum texture-size in 1 dimension; here (GeForce
7800GTX) it gives me 4096, which means that the maximum texture it can
handle is 4096x4096 pixels)

fgjmasdr
IOhannes