[PD] Purpose of sig~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Nov 4 10:50:05 CET 2010

On 2010-11-03 15:46, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is more of philosophical question than anything else. I'm curious to know why [sig~] hasn't been designed out of Pd. Why not have implicit control -> signal conversion everywhere it is possible?
>
> For example why not allow this?
>
> |2(	|3(
> |	|
> [+~ ]

i don't think i understand your question.
the above is totally legal on the versions of Pd i have installed on
this machine.

otoh, [sig~] has been there for ages and longer.
some old patches might still use it, because _then_ you had to
explicitely convert to signals. should [sig~] be removed and break these
patches?

and while i do use implicit float/signal conversion in my patches, i
think explicit conversion is not that bad either: it may prevent people
from hooking a slider into a [*~] and then complain why they get glitches.

fgmasdr
IOhannes