[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 7 11:23:21 CET 2010

> I don't know if you already see this website:
> http://music.columbia.edu/~alessi/
> <http://music.columbia.edu/%7Ealessi/> it
> has an e-mail but is very outdated...

that mail bounced. it's current employer has his name on a list, but no
mail contact.

> I still think you could do all the CAC 'logic' in Pd and use external
> tools
>> for the music notation part.
>>

> I could do it, no doubt about it, and I think that I will eventualy (I'm
> having some troubles with jack in my computer though, but that's another
> problem). Still, what I want is something to display the pitches inside
> Pd
> while I'm working with the algorithms, honestly, all those hacks are not
> as
> good as a tool like those from PWGL or OpenMusic. I know that Pd was not
> tought as a CAC program, but on the other side, It was not tought as a
> video
> rendering software either...

I also agree. this isn't about rendering a score programmed in Pd, but
working on the score at the same time one works on Pd. And for that it's
necessary that both things work at the same time and can communicate with
each other.
One other detail that would be important is also the communication from
the score to the patch. For example, trigger events by clicking in the
score, etc.

> Don't get me wrong, all those ideas were very very helpful and I will try
> them, but since we are just talking about an (yet) hypothetical tool, I
> think we should consider what would be the best thing to have for that
> poupose. Pd has a lot of potential as a CAC tool (we are already doing
> it)
> and a notation display is something that I feel is essential for that
> task.

As I said, this project seemed to me to be nice, and it's also at an
advanced stage. http://sourceforge.net/projects/inscore/