[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

jancsika at yahoo.com jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 08:11:41 CET 2010

On Nov 7, 2010, at 11:49 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Caio Barros wrote:

About the scale, do you have problems with midi note? I believe this would be the most compatible with other functions.

Well, normally I use midi note numbers or a transposed version thereof (especially : midi note minus a multiple of 12), but in this case, I have only implemented «white keys», and then, I wonder what you expect the interface to be, to implement the «black keys», and whether those numbers should be displayed as dièse or bémol.

You could have a method that sets accidental type.  Zero for flats, 1 for sharps.  ( I suppose you could also suppress accidentals but then you'd be notating the pitches incorrectly, and I don't see the purpose of doing that. ).

I think I will use the vertical space as something as equally divided as possible into midi notes, and then display all of them as either unaltered or dièse. Later, the latter part can be modified to show notes in any other chosen scale, maybe...

And I want an option to hide the clef de Sol (thinking of it in the context of using it as a [#many] component, hypothesising a future in which [#many] supports an abstraction name as its $1).