[PD] Musical notation object on Pd

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:34:13 CET 2010

> If i'm not mistaken, in PWGL and OpenMusic the user can choose if he or
> she
> wants to display all the notes as sharps (dièse) or flats (bémol) and
> then
> change each note to its enharmonic pair if wanted. What I supouse would
> be
> the best choice is to have a kind of message that you send to the object
> with the following options:
> - all "black notes" as sharps. suggestion: [accidental sharp<
> - all "black notes" as flats. suggestion: [accidental flat<
> - wich note I want in wich way. suggestion: [accidental 1 0 1 0 0 <
> meaning
> c-sharp, e-flat, f-sharp, a-flat and b-flat.
> What would be extremely nice is if the user could change those options
> after
> the note is displayed, dynamically.
>
> In the case of microtones, again, if I'm not mistaken, in those CAC
> softwares the user can choose between:
> - Display the quarter-tone default symbols(
> http://en.wikivisual.com/index.php/Image:Partial_accidentals.gif) if its
> just quarter tone what the user wants
> - Display the arrowed accidentals for "more-than-sharp",
> "less-than-natural", etc. (see attached picture, made with lilypond) and
> display a number at the right of the note wich I don't remember if it is
> the
> frequency in Herz or the midi pitch as in, for instance, 60.3. I
> personally
> prefer the second option, but I believe that in the perfect tool the user
> could choose between the two.

I don't use open music, but can get the input of someone who works with it
almost every day. The list Caio made is right from a notation viewpoint.
The only thing that can be added is that for the microtonal pitches, the
number above is usually either the frequency of the note, or the cent
deviation (between 0 and 100).

Or maybe any other number that the composer wants to display there. But at
some point, it is expected that a number will appear there.

João