[PD] Which Linux distribution are you using?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:36:54 CET 2010

I agree that JACK doesn't seem to add any latency. The thing is, if Pd alone
and Pd + JACK end up having the same latency, I don't see why i should
bother running two programs.
Yet, I'm not sure about Pd's latency. I know that the "Delay" in Audio
settings doesn't seem to mean anything realistic at all (correct me if i'm
wrong). I can't push it below 8 ms without running into intolerable audio
drop-outs, even though JACK is able to run at a latency below 5 ms. As I
said, my ear isn't fast enough to detect any difference between both setups.
So i guess I'll just try the program that was mentioned in one of the

I also have another question. For now only pd vanilla is installed on my
laptop, because ubuntu studio packages don't include pd-extended (which by
the way is difficult to understand, given all the kind of useless and
sometimes redundant apps they do provide). So, say I installed pd-extended,
do you think i'll have to tweak something in order to get the same
performances as with vanilla (stuff like adding it to the audio group,
changing the rt, buffersize, etc...)?

Incidentally, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed very quickly and without any
particular issues. It also starts and stops in no time. The only drawback is
(as usual) that the wireless card doesn't work properly out of the box.

Thank you all for your help and advice!

Pierre