[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Nov 20 22:20:44 CET 2010

Dear fellow Pd enthusiasts,

I am pleased to report that earlier today L2Ork released latest snapshot
of its own variation of pd-extended 0.42.5. While we are working hard on
submitting isolated patches upstream (some of which have been already
submitted), many more need to be isolated before they can be provided in
a useful format. Another roadblock is that we are still stuck on 0.42.5
which makes patch integration so much more difficult into the 0.43
branch.

That said, we would love to get some feedback/testers. The tarball is
for *linux only* clients (a good number of optimizations have not been
tested on other platforms and there are already known issues,
particularly in respect to pd.tk file).

Some of the notable improvements include much faster editor (instead of
redrawing we tag and move objects wherever possible while still allowing
for legacy movement of objects not conforming to the pd vanilla
gobj_displace format), bunch of usability improvements (e.g. custom
color picker with color storing and hex editing), per-canvas toggling of
menu and background color (see Abstractions), universal shortcuts,
different scrolling algorithm. Likewise, the UI is entirely revamped to
better fit the "Gnome-ish" feel. Jack connectivity algorithm also is
automated and compensates for changes in srate, etc.

At any rate, there are bunch of other little/big fixes I honestly cannot
recall. These improvements are a product of a year of use within the
context of a 15-member laptop orchestra taking into an account feedback
from students/participants, including also my latest hac-a-thon this
past week that involved overhauling redraw to improve editor speed. So,
if any of you would be so kind as to give it a stab and provide any
feedback, that would be most appreciated.

You can get the latest snapshot from
http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/?page_id=56

The source tarball also includes prebuilt binaries, so assuming you have
an intel machine with Ubuntu 9.10, it should "just run." (cd pd/bin/
followed by ./pd). Otherwise, you may have to rebuild it (standard
pd-extended 0.42.x procedure).

Your feedback, particularly bug-reports are most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ico