[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Nov 24 00:10:08 CET 2010

> > Perhaps you'd be interested in my unreleased tkwidgets library, its
> > in SVN.  Basically, I am working on creating a framework to make it
> > much easier to make GUI objects. Part of that framework includes
> > things like resizing things with the mouse.  I have that much
> > working but its buggy still.  Once that gets ironed out, I plan on
> > making Pd versions of all the core Tk widgets, including the Tk
> > canvas.  In tkwdigets there is already a [text] object that works
> > quite nicely, save a few bugs.
>
> I forgot to add, my experience with the iemgui code has told me that
> they would be very difficult to improve, hence the tkwidgets lib.

Unfortunately, if it is not finished/stable, I am not interested in it
as having to deal with Pd bugs in and of themselves is demanding enough
on my time. On a flip side Scope~ external already has similar
functionality which seems to me quite complete so it may be simply a
matter of implementing that one (obviously it would only apply to iemgui
objects as vanilla objects have no way of knowing their own size).

That said, I did spend most of today implementing Sarlo's feature as
well as fixing buggy Tcl/Tk behavior (namely inability to show check
marks in the edit menu which is so disheartening it is not even funny--I
really think Pd needs to wean itself away from the Tcl/Tk abomination
even if that means losing a good chunk of its externals before it can
thrive).

NB: I left out "drop shadows" part as it seems quite redundant. I also
changed how the rest of the code behaves/looks to make it visually
cleaner/more consistent.

Apart from that latest update also includes edit menu highlighting (as
0.43 does to bypass Tcl/Tk buggy junk), improved shortucts for some of
the calls, bugfix in the window list menu which for some reason omits
parent window listing, and other minor cosmetic fixes (e.g. highlighting
color changed to orange as I feel it is much easier on my eyes).

If interested, check out the latest snapshot at the usual place:

http://l2ork.music.vt.edu/main/?page_id=56

Cheers!