[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 00:48:48 CET 2010

--- On Wed, 11/24/10, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)
> To: "Hans-Christoph Steiner" <hans at at.or.at>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at, ""'João Pais'"" <jmmmpais at googlemail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
>
> > > Perhaps you'd be interested in my unreleased
> tkwidgets library, its
> > > in SVN.  Basically, I am working on creating
> a framework to make it
> > > much easier to make GUI objects. Part of that
> framework includes
> > > things like resizing things with the mouse.
> I have that much
> > > working but its buggy still.  Once that gets
> ironed out, I plan on
> > > making Pd versions of all the core Tk widgets,
> including the Tk
> > > canvas.  In tkwdigets there is already a
> [text] object that works
> > > quite nicely, save a few bugs.
> >
> > I forgot to add, my experience with the iemgui code
> has told me that
> > they would be very difficult to improve, hence the
> tkwidgets lib.
>
> Unfortunately, if it is not finished/stable, I am not
> interested in it
> as having to deal with Pd bugs in and of themselves is
> demanding enough
> on my time. On a flip side Scope~ external already has
> similar
> functionality which seems to me quite complete so it may be
> simply a
> matter of implementing that one (obviously it would only
> apply to iemgui
> objects as vanilla objects have no way of knowing their own
> size).

Notice that both [cyclone/Scope~] and [flatspace/entry] have a
bug: a sudden increase in height/width by about 5-10 pixels when you
initially drag to resize.  This makes it difficult if not
impossible to make minor size changes (especially since there is no
Properties dialogue).

-Jonathan

> That said, I did spend most of today implementing Sarlo's
> feature as
> well as fixing buggy Tcl/Tk behavior (namely inability to
> show check
> marks in the edit menu which is so disheartening it is not
> even funny

Wouldn't it be easier just to toggle the text for that menu option
between "Edit mode" and "Run mode"? (That's what they're called in
the manual.)

> --I
> really think Pd needs to wean itself away from the Tcl/Tk
> abomination
> even if that means losing a good chunk of its externals
> before it can
> thrive).

How would you go about doing that?