[PD] Pd + HTML on Android

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Nov 24 05:29:12 CET 2010

Hi Lorenzo,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:03:34AM +0100, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> What also interests me about your project (if I understood correctly how
> it works, because I have no android myself and couldn't play with it) is
> that the 'dsp' and 'interface' (i.e. html+js) remain somewhat separated.

That's correct. They both run inside the same Java thread, but they are quite independent with a small interface for passing data between them. The big down side is that on slower phones the WebKit stack can't send messages to Pd with a very short latency (seems around 100ms to 300ms) and messages back from Pd will confuse it if the come back too quickly. I think with time this will naturally get faster as phones get faster.

> A while ago I posted to the list asking about the possibility of having
> 'modern' html connect to pd (via tricks), and it seemed rather
> impossible.
> Maybe with HTML 5 supporting 'true' sockets this becomes realistic again.

That would be nice. What I have mainly dealt with is sending data from an interface to Pd via netreceive and custom servers which support Pd's strange dual-socket networking. If I was going to implement the equivalent of PdWebKitDroid for the desktop, I would not do that though, I would do it much like it is in the Android version, with WebKit as a library and pd-lib by Peter Brinkmann. I'd probably use Python as the glue application language and either gtk-moz-embed or wxWindows with it's new webkit stuff.

Cheers,

Chris.