[PD] Reasoning behind PD opening multiple copies of the same patch

Joe White white.joe4 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:08:30 CET 2010

Well, IMHO I guess making pd only open one instance at a time would be
default behaviour. If a user wished to open more abstractions then they
could use the 'many' library. It seems like both ways would be handled then.

I still don't know why multiple instances of a patch would be useful, or how
it would differ to having multiple abstractions within a patch. Abstractions
seem to be handled better when it comes to editing, saving an edited
abstraction closes all other duplicate windows and re-instantiates them.
Whereas sometimes I've run in problems editing a duplicate of a patch by
accident and lost work because of problems with saving both patches etc...

Cheers,
Joe