[PD] call for testers for L2Ork iteration of pd-extended (based on 0.42.x branch)

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Nov 25 07:43:45 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 20:30 -0800, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> If I delete all the [clip] objects in the attached patch, it becomes much
> faster to select and move the toggle objects.  Why is that?  I mean, the
> number of selected objects is the same either way.  Do the [clip]s get
> redrawn every time I move the selection?
>
> -Jonathan

Not sure. It really bogs down on my machine but it is still way faster
than the older algorithm. To see just how many messages pass between pd
and tcl/tk run:

pd -d 1 lots-of-objects.pd

Compare old version vs. new and you'll see the difference.

The ironic thing is that I also noticed some inconsistencies in expected
performance. Namely, when I have one complex GOP, it runs relatively
sluggish. Then I add the second one and everything moves *way* faster
(GOPs BTW are not accelerated in my code either). It is almost as if at
some point threshold on the socket queue elevates its priority above
other things (but this is a mere speculation at best as I've no idea how
kernel handles these kinds of things, particularly when one is running a
rt kernel).

Best wishes,

Ico