[PD] big soundfiles

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Nov 27 07:40:12 CET 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Derek Holzer wrote:

> So what could the max size of a file be without losing any detail with
> [tabread4~]?

There is no such thing... It's completely relative to the amount of detail
you want to have. If you want a million points between sample 1 and sample
2 you can have them, but if you go between 100 and 101 you already can't
have that anymore. If you want to be able to use sixteenths of samples,
you can up to sample 1048576, but after that it's only eights, until the
double of that size, etc.

[tabread4~] is made to read between the samples, but there's no standard
on how many points between the samples one might want... it depends on
what you decide to do with the data, and the maximum error you can
tolerate in that situation.

> Is that the hardcoded 4000000 elements limitation?

I think that it's just so that you don't load something too big, for the
typical amounts of RAM that people had back when [soundfiler] was written.