[PD] The Game of Life

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Sun Nov 28 22:09:19 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 09:21 PM, Andrew Faraday wrote:

> also, I can't get this to work on my mac, not entirely sure why, oh well. never mind.

works here on macos in pd extended 0.42.5. the cpu load is a bit heavy
though, on my 2009 mac mini. (about 70 percent) i also got a few
"r13 couldn't create".

on my ubuntu (10.4) it did not work very well, but that is
probably because i use basicly pd vanilla and a few externals
(and no gridflow for example).
after "randomize" the next iteration is completely black.
cpu is about 50 percent (3 ghz intel core duo)

>>> Does anyone know if it's been done in puredata before? Can I get
>>> hold of it?

>>> I may, in the longer run, be planning to use this for a generative
>>> music patch. Don't know if that means anything to you.

in my "sequenzquadrat"-patch is a "live-player", which modifies
the current pattern according to game-of-life rules.
musically it is not that interessting though.
maybe it would be a better idea to use the game-of-life in a different
way than i did, for example as a monophonic sequence, with nr of dots
per column as velocity or something like that.
or maybe clusters of dots as different sequences...

bis denn!
    martin