[PD] The Game of Life

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Nov 29 04:43:07 CET 2010

As-salamu alaykum,

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 06:51:57PM +0000, Andrew Faraday wrote:
> * Does anyone know if it's been done in puredata before? Can I get hold of it?

<http//lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-08/041323.html>

Unfortunately the links in that post don't resolve correctly, but you can get
the same files from here: <http://mccormick.cx/dev/s-abstractions/>

Using that you can build CA fields of arbitrary size. There is a small bug
where cells shift one unit when crossing some boundaries - I think the top and
bottom of the field but I can't remember - but it doesn't have too disruptive an
effect and the whole structure still functions ok.

> I may, in the longer run, be planning to use this for a generative music
> patch. Don't know if that means anything to you.

I made some music with my implementation which you can hear here:
<http://sciencegirlrecords.com/chr15m/music/CD004/ca1.ogg>

If I recall correctly, notes/parameters/rhythms were triggered as cells in
certain rows were crossed. I made liberal use of the Glider:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glider_%28Conway%27s_Life%29>.

Also check out the replies in that thread:

Frank's Game of Life in datastructures:
<http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-08/041386.html>

Mathieu's implementation in gridflow:
<http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-08/041382.html>