[PD] rjdj using [netreceive]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Nov 30 08:20:57 CET 2010

Hi Sofy,

The main problem one faces with [netreceive] is that it is uni-directional. So
you can make a connection out to an internet site with [netsend] but then the
site can't send anything back. As Hans said, you could write a server
especially to connect back to a waiting [netreceive] but that would only work
if the RjDj patch was on the edge of the network (e.g. not behind a router or
firewall) which is almost never the case.

Some time ago I asked Miller off-list if he would accept a patch to [netsend]
to allow two way communication (e.g. with an outlet which would output anything
which arrived back from the socket you are [netsend]ing to). He told me that he
would like to overhaul the way in which the network objects work (something to
do with the bufferring mechanism, I think) so I did not proceed with making
that patch to [netsend]. I still think it would be a great modification to
[netsend] as it would essentially make Pd a real internet citizen and allow all
kinds of multiplayer patching/jamming/composing coolness (netpd!) on all types
of devices. I would be happy to do this work if I thought it would be accepted
into Miller's Pd.

Luckily for you, there is a proprietary object in the RjDj stack called
[rj_http] which will let you fetch data from websites etc. Probably Frank could
tell you where the latest documentation for that object is, or maybe Google can
help you find the documentation. As far as I know nobody really used that
object for anything awesome, which was always suprising to me since it could be
used to do cool things like share FUDI data through Twitter (with the help of
some cgi scripts on a server). Oh well.

Cheers,

Chris.