[PD] firewirecamera in gem/pidip

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Nov 30 17:36:30 CET 2010

#1 (Gem only) upgrade to the latest and greatest Gem (svn!), where you
can read iidc cameras directly

#2 older versions of Gem and pdp don't have iidc support; so you need to
somehow make your camera's images show up in v4l(2) devices

#2a v4l1-loopback:  coriander already comes with v4l1-loopback support;
in order to use it you have to, install the the v4loopback kernel module:
# module-assistant auto-install vloopback
# modprobe vloopback
this will give you 2 new devices e.g. /dev/video1 (being the "pipe"
where coriander can write to) and /dev/video2 (being the "pipe" that
pix_video/pdp_v4l can read)

#2b v4l2-loopback (which i favour as it is more modern and i have my
fingers in it)
if you are on debian/sid you can simply do:
# modula-assistant auto-install v4l2loopback
# modprobe v4l2loopback
this will give you 1 new device e.g. /dev/video1 which can be written to
by e.g. gstreamer and read by pix_video/pdp_v4l2
$ gstreamer dc1394src ! ffmpegcolorspace ! v4l2sink

if you are not on debian/sid, you might want to get v4l2loopback from
http://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback/ and simply run
$ make
$ sudo insmod ./v4l2loopback.ko

gmsdr