[PD] Attaching a Sensor to Acoustic Instruments Question

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Dec 1 21:23:53 CET 2010

Tracking in that sense requires you to have gear that is in visible line of
sight to the musician. If its a concert situation maybe that's not easy. But
its a way to go. Note that will not produce good tridimensional tracking
results, one could use a kinect too.

If we want to hyper extrapolate, if the concert is in a controlled room, you
can use 3D IR tracking system, such as used for mocap. Real expensive but
really accurate. :)

Best luck,
Pedro

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM, tim vets <timvets at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's worth mentioning that you can also work the other way round:
> mount a small IR LED on the head of the instrument and track its motion
> with a wiimote mounted statically in front of it.
> I used this once for tracking a remote controlled robot and it worked
> fairly well.
> I guess that success will also depend on the type of movements the musician
> will make.
> The IR LED would need to stay directed to the wiimote all the times.
> Also make the LED as omnidirectional as possible...
> Tim
>
> 2010/12/1 Jose Luis Santorcuato <santorcuato76 at gmail.com>
>
> Hi, i connected pd with arduino and adxl330, works fine, in order to
>> wireless i prefer arduino bluetooth, the only thing to do is change the baud
>> for default the in firmata is 57600, in my experience only works if you
>> change to 115200 (in the standard firmata arduino sketch,and the arduino
>> monitor).
>>
>> If you have problems i can help you, i send a youtube video ,
>> pd+arduino+processing+osc wired...but arduino bluetooth or bluetooth shield
>> for Arduino is the solution.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/santorcuato76#p/u/1/SM4Un76LB90
>>
>> Best regrads from Chile
>>
>> José
>>
>> 2010/12/1 J bz <jbeezez at gmail.com>
>>
>>>  Hey all,
>>>
>>> I'm working on composing a piece within pd for viola in which I would
>>> like to attach some kind of sensor to the head of the instrument.  The
>>> sensor must be capable of tracking the performers movements on the x,y,z
>>> axis', be undetectable for the performer, and be wireless.  I'm not sure
>>> whether something arduino or some sort of bluetooth device would be
>>> preferable?
>>>
>>> Would be very grateful if any listers have any experience in these
>>> matters and could recommend some devices, pointers of things to watch out
>>> for (bluetooth in concert venues for example), general sturdiness of various
>>> items, etc.
>>>
>>> Many thanks, and best wishes,
>>>
>>> Julian

>> --