[PD] MIDI Out Scaling Issue (controlling DAW tempo w/ PD)

Aaron L. elmastero74 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 07:43:57 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Paul Winchester <pww35 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I made the following circuit in PD in an attempt to control a DAW's (FL
> Studio's in this case) tempo via recorded clapping or tapping (much thanks
> to Pedro Lopes who helped me in another thread).
>
> Here's a picture of it:
> http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9851/bpmpd.gif
>
> The only issue I'm having now is scaling the midi data/ doing the right
> math so the tempo I calculate in PD is the tempo that is received by my
> DAW.
>
> I had an 81 bpm song that was consistently being "tapped in" at 88 bpm when
> I clapped along, and I suspect this has something to do with my scale
> divisor being about 8 in my patch.  The DAW I'm working with has a scale of
> about 0-1000 bpm, so I simply divided 1000 by 127 in order to get ~7.87.
> This isn't working/isn't as accurate as it needs to be though, and I'm
> wondering why.
>
> Any suggestions?  Tips?  Better ways of approaching this?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Paul Winchester

Just out of curiousity, how long does it take the tempo to "correct" (quotes
are because it sounds like it's not)?

What if you already knew what tempo you were aiming for (e.g. you entered it
in when you created/saved the song) and then you'd clap to set the tempo and
there'd be some math to get the diff of the 2 tempos and determine it that
way?

-Aaron