[PD] timing

Dietrich Pank dietrich.pank at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:21:26 CET 2010

Hi list,

This is my first post here asking you for help.
I built for many years in NI Reaktor (and still do). For this reason I'm
used to handle basically 2 signal types:
Audio - always sample rate clocked
Event - any(!) time, even between samples
Now I need to get to know and used to the clock and trigger "secrets" in pd.
I want to work efficiently of course but also to be sample accurate if
needed.
Beside having fun with the great freedom and logic of puredata, my aim is to
be able to build hi quality audio stuff sooner or later...

While building an audio scope (for e.g. debugging) I got stuck in searching
sample exact message trigger.
I wanna ask you for suggestions tips about my approach. Have a look into
attached pd I prepared with comments here and there describing my thoughts
and problems.
There may be different ways to make audio scopes (I know there is one
build-in but it only displayed useless coarse vector lines) but some
questions I want to get answered anyhow:

my basic questions:
* is it possible to get/fire precise timed messages, e.g. Metro (at least)
Samplerate accurate?
* is it possible to get sample timed events/messages, e.g. threshold what is
far to coarse! (see attached pd)
 * regarding changing block~ size:
- my patch only accepts 64 - why?
- why does the $0-audioscope show extreme high amplitude when block~ size is
<64 ?
 - makes it sense at all changing block~ size in order to get better message
timing? Or what is it for...

manuals, links, mails or commented pd patches - anything is welcome.

regards
Dietrich