[PD] timing

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 16:10:46 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 13:12 +0100, Dietrich Pank wrote:
>         > I think I understand the basic theory.
>         > Experience is something else... e.g.
>         > line~ and metro doesn't work sample correct even in block~
>         size 1
>

>         Interesting. How did you test that?
>
>         > vline~ doesn't work in block~ sizes <64
>

>         I'm surprised. Again, how did you test it?
>

> good question :)
> patch attached.

I'm afraid I didn't fully understand the idea of the patch. I mean, I
understood the basic idea. But why are you assuming, that 2 samples and
3 samples are the smallest possible ramps that can be achieved with
[vline~] and [line~]?
Also I'm not clear, what kind of signal [vline~] and [line~] are
supposed to produce. They don't accept the same message format. [vline~]
while [line~] takes only two (<target values>, <ramp time>). Check the
help file for the specifics.

Anyway, your patch  makes a few things quite clear.

* Changing the blocksize for the [metro] / [metroplus] doesn't matter
* The blocksize doesn't affect [vline~] as long as it is >= 64 samples.
* [line~] schedules ramps only on block boundaries, so when setting high
blocksizes, one might has to wait a long time until it starts the ramp.

Roman