[PD] Am I alone?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 21:04:03 CET 2011

--- On Wed, 2/2/11, patko <colet.patrice at free.fr> wrote:

> From: patko <colet.patrice at free.fr>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Am I alone?
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "pd-list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 12:37 PM
>  Music is something we can have
> permenantly in the mind, and this is actually hidden from
> anyone point of view,
> no one would be actually ridiculous by generating music
> with brain (Can you say that about chicken dance?).

I chose the example of the Chicken Dance exactly because it is
ridiculous, so I agree with you, but fail to see the relevance.

Also-- what do you mean by point of view?  If you mean a visualization
of the activity, I suppose I could also say a dancer can imagine their
own Chicken Dance in kinesthetic terms, quite separate from any
sound or image.

>  Tools have been developped to reproduce this music for
> sharing a projection around a consensus that is different
> following different social groups. We're just trying not to
> be alone.

What do you mean when you say "this music"?

>  If you play didjeridoo your brain will reproduce sounds of
> didjeridoo as well as melodies or any kind of language,
> where accurateness will depends of the the understanding of
> the mind that is trying to reproduce it.
>
>  Listeners might need to be educated but I have some
> reasons to doubt about it, a baby for example would rather
> get comfortable with smooth, nice music that uses to follow
> the rules of intelligent structures rather than weird noises
> coming out from industrail machines or randomly tuned
> synthetisers (rather that things we are undergoing).
>
>  At the other side, a too well educated listener might get
> bored when melodies always follow the same rules, like if we
> always take the same road, with same conditions, that's
> certainly why composers came to arrhythmia, dodecaphonism,
> serial and spectral music, for breaking the rules.
>
>  But like in everything there is a need for an equilibrium.
> Breaking the rule for just breaking the rule have no
> interest if the rule have not been deployed along a musical
> piece, if the composer or the interpret don't navigate in
> and out of the rule, musicality can easyly loose it's
> interest to be listened. There is no interest to play out of
> tune if there is no tune at all.
>
>  Also there is not idea *behind* music, music *is* the
> idea.

It depends on how you define "idea behind music".

I believe matju means the process that led to music getting produced,
or written, or whatever.  In that case the idea is not the music.