[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Feb 20 23:31:13 CET 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> I don't understand this process.  I understand the order, but why, for
> example, does
> [./sigmund~] create an instance of the sigmund~ class?

It's not like shell commands : even relative names that contain slashes
are looked for in the -path. In that sense, it's more like gcc's -I
options (including C_INCLUDE_PATH, CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and the implicit
/usr/include and stuff).

>> How can those classes affect those users ? I mean, how can
>> the collection of pd-extended classes act like a haze, when
>> the users don't look at a list of 2000 classes ?
> Well if you use Pd Vanilla and want to find an object that does something,
> you look for it, find it (or not), and start using it.

But I mean, if you look at Miller's index while in Pd-extended, you only
see the list of the classes that are in Vanilla. It's not like the 2345
other classes are actively bugging you in this context. It's a completely
different game than going in the "5.reference" folder. You don't need to
install Vanilla to benefit from Miller's help files.

> Also, keep in mind that currently it's hard to ask Pd Extended
> to show you all the externals that do the thing you want to do, and get
> back a meaningful answer.

You mean you can ask it...? (you mean 43 ?)

> * and of course you right-click to see what library it is actually in
> but Pd's search party comes back with very bad news: "Sorry, ma'am, but
> your child never even existed..."

Which error message do you actually mean ?