[PD] access to pd table from another application

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:24:13 CEST 2011

Hans, thanks for the reply.
I'm having second thoughts about using Juce..  6Mb for a simple hello world app?
I have some old handwritten code I just never decided on a  graphics
library to use it with except for my own bios routines. opengl seems
to be the most common thing between mac, linux and ms so that is
probably the best route for graphics.  I had no idea that there were
keyboard routines in glut. Something prevented me from using glut in
the past I do not remember what it was. All of my opengl programs only
used gl and glu. I do not know about GEM and another opengl app
coexisting though. It is awesome to have GEM right there in PD but I'm
having difficulty translating multiple objects like a 3d pixel space
of say 300 x 300 x 300 cubes which are treated as pixels into a
manageable gem implementation then there is the whole thing about
binding responses to input to graphical objects. That is kind of hard
for me to figure out how to model simply. But integrating a few GEM
objects with audio and control signals is understood.

Peter, thanks as well. I will  look into [pixmap]. I thought earlier
duh if i'm drawing into a table it's going to be at intervals of 10ms
more or less and it's only going to be 1 pixel at a time so the
updates to the tables are not that critical when drawing and could be
done simply by sending pd a message through osc, netsend, or even midi
for that matter. I would still like to know of some interprocess
communication techniques between pd and a non pd app.