[PD] Data Structures GOP and installing latest PD

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 22:00:48 CEST 2011

--- On Mon, 4/4/11, Billy Stiltner <billy.stiltner at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Billy Stiltner <billy.stiltner at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PD] Data Structures GOP and installing latest PD
> To: "pd-list" <pd-list at iem.at>
> Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 9:37 PM
> Hey
>
> I didn't know you could GOP data structures.
> This opens up a new world.
> Where is an up to date tutorial on using data structures?

I don't know of an up-to-date tutorial, but there is a tutorial in
doc/4.data.structures.  Some parts are out of date:

* data is, in fact, persistent when using scalars.  Data is saved along
with the patch. (Similar to using a "Put" menu array and checking the
box for "save contents", except that with scalars they always save with
the patch.)
* the term "template" is used both to describe the subpatch in which the
data structure ([struct] + any drawing instructions) is defined as well
as the [struct] object itself.  (I think [struct] used to be named
[template]...)
* some of the mouse-driven messages (e.g., "click") didn't exist when
those tutorials were written.  For an up-to-date list see struct-help.pd
in:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/doc/pddp/

(all the data structure related objects like [plot], [element], etc. have
updated documentation if you use the pddp docs from the link above.)

-Jonathan