[PD] Making a Realtime Convolution External

Seth Nickell seth at meatscience.net
Tue Apr 5 21:26:46 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
>> 5) I'd love to build a granular convolution engine.... takes two real-time
>> signals, and extracts grains from one to convolve against the other. Anyone
>> have ideas about this?
>
> What's the fundamental difference between this and a windowed FFT
> convolution engine ?

Big difference would be stochastic grain selection (with
inputs/control over the selection tendencies), but it'd definitely
start as a straight-up windowed fft convolution engine. E.g. one
parameter that could make for interesting selections is to hunt for
decaying peaks, and favor using those to get a "crisper output"
instead of the haze that results from windowed fft convolution.

-seth