[PD] creating an engaging interactive art in public space

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:49:31 CEST 2011

On 05/04/11 09:01, Adityo Pratomo wrote:

> create an engaging interactive art piece for a public space? I was just
> doing a casual internet browsing the other day, looking at various
> interactive art in public space, then suddenly that question popped up.

Looking at only the public space + interactive part of the question (so not
considering general things to consider in making work for an audience .. or in
making something interactive, or placing a work in a public space) ...

Some choices I would probably make ...

  - I would want to ensure there was no need to explain to an audience that
interaction is possible and desirable, and to use the interactive-ness of the
installation to provoke a desire to explore and discover. This is certainly not
the only kind of interactive installation I would be interested in, but it would
be my first impulse.

  - The work must either invite or provoke the sort of activities that create a
recognisable response in its 'resting' state, or should be devised in such a way
that visitors to the space doing the common things in that space provide the
required input. These are two very different approaches and lead to very
different kinds of work, both are interesting to me.

  - The interactive-ness should be noticeable by a casual visitor, and the
methods and logic of that interaction should be able to be worked out by an
engaged audience member through the kinds of exploration invited by the special
qualities of the installation and the particular habits and rules of the public
space it has been placed in. It is important to remember that only some will
engage in this way, and that the work should not depend on this way of engaging
but it should certainly allow for it. Confusing or inconsistent behaviour is
certainly a possibility, as a conscious choice of the artist and followed
through properly, but is hard to make work.

  - The kind of engagement with the interactivity which is playful more than
analytical should be rewarding.

  - The work should also be engaging for an audience member that is more
passively observing while others interact. That is I would keep in mind that the
interaction is only part of the work, and that quite often a passer-by will be
engaged by the work because of the interaction with someone else.

  - Interactivity presents the opportunity to give a work a strong sense of
being alive, and of building a heightened sense of connection with the space.
The moment a visitor notices the responsiveness is very important, it can be the
start of some kind of narrative or journey, or some kind of surprise which
shifts the way the public space is perceived, or ...

There is a lot more to say, it is a very big topic!

Simon