[PD] Making a Realtime Convolution External

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 21:38:33 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 2011-04-06 21:04, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > I use a thread per core, it does parallelize nicely.
> >

> that's what i thought.
>
> please don't let yourself turn down by all those misers :-)
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

As a young curmudgeon myself, I might *grumble* seem discouraging.  But
really, I'd encourage you to take on convolution externals... but don't
create a monster.

In the context of threading/part. conv, I had an idea to compute ahead.
Most of the calculations for a given block can be computed ahead.  Only the
most recent block of samples needs to be actually convolved, right away.

Then, once you've summed the most recent block with the other partitions,
you'd start a thread to "compute ahead" the next cycle's partitions.  If the
load is low enough, it would complete by the next cycle--of course, you'd
need to wait/join the background thread to make sure that it completes.