[PD] Arduino, any feedback to help me choose the model?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 10 17:28:21 CEST 2011

Probably the thing will read quieter if the pots are lower resistance.
The data sheet for the atmega microcontroller used in the arduino says
hat the impedance of the analog source should be less than 10kOhm. Also
putting a .1uF capacitor from the analog pin to ground will smooth out
glitchy noise. (And averaging a few values in software helps too.)

The arduino can send its data as MIDI by using two 220 Ohm resistors
(one from 5V to MIDI pin 4, the other from TX to MIDI pin 5, ground to
pin 3) and a baud rate of 31250. That can eliminate noise caused by the
USB connection, but you have to program the MIDI messages yourself
instead of using pduino, as well as powering the arduino from a battery
(quiet) or AC adapter (noisy).

I have built a MIDI pedal that uses an optical sensor to detect the
pedal position. It is much quieter than a potentiometer.

Martin