[PD] Pd-extended 0.42.5 dropped tk8.4 dependency only in source?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 19 16:52:04 CEST 2011

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> I had to install pd-extended on a Ubuntu Lucid box and the .deb listed
> in the download section still has a tk8.4 dependency, which in turns
> seems to give a font problem [1]?

What I do is recompile the core of Pd-Extended 42 myself. It takes 5
minutes, and then I combine it with a set of precompiled externals from a
deb file. This allows me to use Tcl/Tk 8.5, because Tcl/Tk 8.4 is way too
old. I think that everybody on Linux deserves to use Tcl/Tk 8.5 fonts with
Pd-Extended 42.

However, the problem that I have with Tk 8.4 is just the antialias.

Tk 8.4 and 8.5 on Linux also have an annoying IEM font size difference,
but this does not affect the main font of the patches.

Helpfile screenshots that I made were all made using Tk 8.5, Pd-Extended
42, and Ubuntu 9.10. For example, it looks like this :

   http://gridflow.ca/help/%23io.x11-help.html