[PD] libpd and BUG Labs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Apr 25 16:06:31 CEST 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Andrew Turley wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> That's great, nevertheless your company's product or too expensive
>>> for what they are! May be if you were to come up with something like
>>> Panda or Beagle board, but more pro-audio oriented (i.e. with
>>> ballanced
>>> mic input and good 96Hz converters) - many people here would be
>>> intereseted :) It doesn't have to be OMAP (in fact better not
>>> OMAP), but
>>> any other multicore ARM with VPF, e.g. Marvell ARMADA. Contact me
>>> if you
>>> do need more information on this .. And certainly a cheaper
>>> enclosure ..
>>> I see that your company make these nice and expensive
>>> eclosures ..which
>>> would rather be optional, from my point of view!
>>
>> Clearly then these devices are not for you (and audio isn't their
>> focus) but
>> there is surely a place for a modular system like this ... clearly
>> a lot of
>> effort has gone into creating a slick set of units. Why not sell
>> them if
>> there are people who want them?
>>
>> If you are wanting to do similar yourself .. their software
>> development is
>> open source, downloadable from the site and the work they have done
>> is
>> available for you to use in any other open source project.
>>
>> I have only just looked over the site, but if the internals have
>> had similar
>> care and attention as the design and exterior it would be a nice
>> kit to work
>> with, and because of the nice exterior etc it would be more
>> attractive to
>> some kinds of clients. I'd say how expensive the kits seem depends
>> on how
>> much you put a $ value on your own development time .. if you
>> develop stuff
>> for your own pleasure/learning/satisfaction/whatever then maybe it
>> isn't for
>> you. If you don't have the cash it isn't for you either, but the
>> work put
>> into the code has been paid for by their customers, and that code
>> is free
>> for you to use (in FLOSS projects of course).
>>
>> It's nice to see Pd have a wide range of uses.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> errordeveloper, I agree, the price point doesn't work for everybody.
> To be clear, I wasn't trying to sell units, I just wanted to share
> something that I had done. We've tossed around the idea of a high-end
> audio module. I'll pass that information along if we end up doing it.

I think it doesn't hurt to have different options out there, so while
I agree bugs labs is more money than barebones embedded platforms, if
you want the ease they offer, it could be worth the money.

I'm curious whether you had a particular idea in mind when porting Pd
to the bug labs setup.  I think there is a lot of potential in using
audio in product design.

"We have nothing to fear from love and commitment." - New York Senator
Diane Savino, trying to convince the NY Senate to pass a gay marriage
bill