[PD] routeOSC: how to distinguish messages addressed to a node from messages addressed to any descendant

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun May 22 01:54:52 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-21 19:21, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 12:44 AM, Martin Peach wrote:
>>> until [routeOSC] will consider a
>>> message without an address as equivalent to a message addressed to "/".
>>>

>> Yes I think that makes sense. But I think [routeOSC] should simply
>> prefix an outgoing message with '/' if there is no more path.
>>

> I agree that would be a more consistent solution, but I think it would
> break more existing patches.

Yes after thinking about it a few more minutes I agree...

> Indeed it would break almost _any_ existing patch using routeOSC, while
> having non-addressed messages match "/" would break only those patches
> which rely on [routeOSC] to discard such messages through the right
> outlet, which should not be a common practice, considering that most
> message are not handled properly by touchOSC used that way (only floats
> are; lists of floats are truncated after the first element and any other
> message issues an error).

Lists arriving at a [routeOSC] are currently handled depending on the
first element. If the first element is a float then only that float gets
output (a bug!). If it's a symbol then the symbol is taken to be the OSC
path, which causes an error message if it doesn't start with '/'.

So I propose to change it so that any input that doesn't start with a
symbol that begins with '/' will have its path silently set to '/' by
[routeOSC]. This will also mean that any unmatched message with no path
leaving the rightmost outlet will have '/' set as its path.

The only snag I foresee is if the first element of an incoming OSC is a
string beginning with the character '/'. In that case it will be
mistaken for a path.

And also the wildcard code needs fixing up...
Thanks for pointing out these issues.

Martin