[PD] CVs

Bryan Jurish jurish at uni-potsdam.de
Fri May 27 10:09:02 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-26 14:58, Andy Farnell wrote:
> Alan Watts, and to some extent Pierre Grimes analysing
> Plato, gave me some good thoughts on this.
>
> If we weren't neural networks, prone to classification,
> the question might be, are there different kinds of
> intelligence? Or is what we do, (throwing boundaries
> around things and concepts), intelligence by definition
> only?

I'm not at all sure what `intelligence' is, but I don't think that
matters too much.  The really tricky terms (at least for me) are things
like "logical consistency", and of course the ubiquitous "truth" and
"reference" (I suppose intelligence plays into it if you think that only
intelligent beings can appreciate such things).  Since we're trading
snappy quotes, here's one:

"... there is the question which is hardest of all and most perplexing,
whether unity and being, as the Pythagoreans and Plato said, are not
attributes of something else but the substance of existing things, or
this is not the case, but the substratum is something else"
 - Aristotle, Metaphysics, Book III

marmosets,
	Bryan

Bryan Jurish
Deutsches Textarchiv
Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften

Jägerstr. 22/23
10117 Berlin

Tel.:      +49 (0)30 20370 539
E-Mail:    jurish at bbaw.de