[PD] pduino test patch: "old analog/digital controls"

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:26:29 CEST 2011

On 06/13/2011 09:09 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> @Ingo and Matteo
>
> I'm also quite interested in having the [arduino] working properly. I
> didn't find any bugs recently, though. However, if you provide a
> step-by-step guide about how to reproduce a problem, I (and probably
> Olsen also) might be able to help,

Ok, the problem is that in my case I'm not sure whether I'm experiencing
an issue, an incorrectness in the test patch, or just my lack of
knowledge of how it is _expected_ to behave.

With both old and new versions of the StandardFirmata firmware the
following message enables analog input from pin A0 (i.e. pin 14):

"analogIns 0 1" (0 means A0 and 1 means on)

But in the test patch this is enclosed in a subpatch calles "old
analog/digital controls" so is it supposed to be obsolete?

The only other way I've seemed to find to enable input from analog pin
A0 is:

"pinMode 14 analog"

which seems to be the "suggested" way in the test patch (offered with
the pink grid on the upper-right part of the patch),

but this only works with OLD versions of StandardFirmata.

So it looks like either:
a. there is a third, current, non-obsolete, recommended way of doing
that which I don't know
b. the "suggested" way is the old one and the one documented as "old" is
actually the new one (but I don't think so, that's not what Chris said)
c. something isn't working right

The same happens with both Arduino 2009 (with the "StandardFirmata"
sketch) and with an Arduino UNO (with the
StandardFirmata_2_2_for_UNO_0_3). Both sketches are those that ship with
the latest package of the Arduino IDE for Debian sid.

The older StandardFirmata sketch where the "pinMode N analog" message
worked were taken from an older version of the arduino package for
Ubuntu from the official repository, but I don't remember the version
number.