[PD] Pd performance at TED

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 21 03:00:08 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Marco Donnarumma wrote:

> glad the provocation went through.

You also used that word when posting an unrelated url on LinkedIn today.
Seems to be a mood that you are in.

> Thus, I was just wondering that I would have appreciated TED to show
> some of them instead of this with cables everywhere and boxes hanging
> around.

I wish people to stop portraying the use of visible cables-and-boxes as if
it were some kind of unprofessionalism.

>       What's a « technological parody » ?
> I mean when "hi-profile" tech is used to implement an approach or a
> concept that doesn't really require such amount of technology.

Well, for producing the sound that you are producing, you don't need the
equipment that you are using. For example you could pre-record it all by
playing on a totally different-looking device. How many people would
notice ?

> there are many nuances, but I mentioned that as the text in Onyx's video
> read: "so that beatjazzers become as common as djs."  Do you really need
> cables everywhere, sensors, a mouthpiece with two guitar pickups, a
> smartphone stick to your forearm, etc.. to achieve such goal?

Does he really need to stick to only the stated goal ? It's not an
academic presentation for the sole goal of proving a point about the
discourse of art.

> Hans, Onyx is playing mostly loops isn't he? How you know about the
> timing? We don't even know how much of what he's doing is really live,
> what is he triggering, if timing is controlled by a timeline or by his
> performance.

Right. When every performance is potentially centred on a new, never-seen
instrument, who in the audience is actually competent to figure out which
elements are live and which ones are not ?

> Please, correct me if I'm wrong. But I saw a lot of loops playing on a
> timeline and some solos parts possibly produced through the mouthpiece.

Aren't we so unsure ?