[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 75, Issue 66

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Tue Jun 21 13:17:02 CEST 2011

>  In TED performance we see how interfaces would be used to interpret
> electronic music, unfortunately the player doesn't seem to have a lot of
> culture in electronic music, but maybe someone else with a lot more
> experience and knowledge would show a performance like great improvisators
> we know, I'd love to see how squarepusher would play with this ^

+1!

That would be brilliant.

I think a lot of the folks who are disappointed with this being at TED are
> frustrated because they are looking at it from an academic standpoint or at
> least looking at it as a non-performer.

mm, I mostly perform live with Pd.
Maybe badly :) but I do.

> You have to remember that he is
> performing, and on top of that, probably trying to make a living as a
> performer.

Me too :P
and possibly many other people on this list.

> For christ's sake his name is Onyx Ashanti and he made a new name
> for his music, "beatjazz" =). It's a little over-the-top and mediocre if
> you
> are expecting some ground-breaking, concept piece or a technical
> demonstration of the capabilities of Puredata... but it's not. This guy is
> an entertainer who is probably combining his love of electronics with his
> love of music... I don't see anything wrong with that.

I agree, but my concerns were motivated by the fact that it's TED (that T
standing for Technology), and for the way the work it is presented, claiming
boldly that the future is here and beatjazzers make it.
Aside from that, everything would look cool and fun.

> Plus... isn't this just an audition?

well, yes, and how many hundreds thousand of viewers does it make?

--
Marco Donnarumma
Independent New Media and Sonic Arts Professional, Performer, Instructor