[PD] OT: emails to the list / SMTP servers / SPF record

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 19:15:50 CEST 2011

Dear List,

Gmail has made some changes so with emails that are not sent from the domain
of the email address (eg: an email from donald at duck.com sent by an SMTP
server smtp.alligator.com) I get warnings such as "This message may not have
been sent by: donald at duck.com", and/or the sender is displayed as "
donald at duck.com via alligator.com".
I've made some research and all this is because of increasing protection
against email spoofing.
The solution is to add a so-called SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record to
your DNS records. (More info: http://www.openspf.org/) Some ISPs like
Godaddy support it with their DNS editor, some others need to add a TXT
record manually (in my case something like this: "v=spf1 mx mx:
smtp.myisp.net include:smtp.gmail.com include:myotherisp.net -all").

Hope this helps some of you.

Andras