[PD] OT: emails to the list / SMTP servers / SPF record

errordeveloper at gmail.com errordeveloper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 04:27:34 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 03:09:09AM +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 23:29, <errordeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Firstly, I cannot see this being relevant to anyone on the list.
> >

> It is - I see the warning attached to many people's mails (on this mailing
> list). Actually your mail has arrived with the warning: "This message may
> not have been sent by: errordeveloper at gmail.com - Learn more - Report
> phishing"

Yes, that's because the message was sent via the list server.
SPF won't help, the warning which you is an awfull non-sense.

> > Secondly, from my personal experience SPF doesn't help very much -
> > you will need DomainKey and that need to be setup in the MTA.
> >

> I'll need to see if SPF has a positive effect on this - at the moment, I
> just thought this is an emerging issue and people better hear about it from
> a mailing list than having person-to-person mails lost in nowhere.

Nope, you had been mislead by those silly warnings.
I am not going to explain how email delivery works.

As I said, the reason why this sort of warning may
come-up, is because the message from the list arrive
with senders address in 'From:' from field, however
it goes via the mailing list server, hence other
fields do not match the domain name of the sender.

Whoever coded the software you are using, haven't
placed an exception for mailing lists. There are
RFC-coliant header fields which must be looked at
by that software, but they are being ignored, which
is wrong.