[PD] OT: emails to the list / SMTP servers / SPF record

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:49:59 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 04:27, <errordeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 03:09:09AM +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 23:29, <errordeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Firstly, I cannot see this being relevant to anyone on the list.
> > >

> > It is - I see the warning attached to many people's mails (on this
> mailing
> > list). Actually your mail has arrived with the warning: "This message may
> > not have been sent by: errordeveloper at gmail.com - Learn more - Report
> > phishing"
>
> Yes, that's because the message was sent via the list server.
> SPF won't help, the warning which you is an awfull non-sense.

I get the warning with many people's mails on the list, but definitely not
all of them.

> > > Secondly, from my personal experience SPF doesn't help very much -
> > > you will need DomainKey and that need to be setup in the MTA.
> > >

> > I'll need to see if SPF has a positive effect on this - at the moment, I
> > just thought this is an emerging issue and people better hear about it
> from
> > a mailing list than having person-to-person mails lost in nowhere.
>
> Nope, you had been mislead by those silly warnings.
> I am not going to explain how email delivery works.
>
> As I said, the reason why this sort of warning may
> come-up, is because the message from the list arrive
> with senders address in 'From:' from field, however
> it goes via the mailing list server, hence other
> fields do not match the domain name of the sender.
>
> Whoever coded the software you are using, haven't
> placed an exception for mailing lists. There are
> RFC-coliant header fields which must be looked at
> by that software, but they are being ignored, which
> is wrong.

Google coded the software - I'm using Gmail. I agree that these warnings are
way unnecessary (so far 100% of them), but as I said, if they joined the
hype, there's a risk that others will join it too and the nonsense will
become a general practice.
I didn't want to annoy you or anyone, however.... :o)

Andras