[PD] GOP Rendering Issue

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 22:40:22 CEST 2011

--- On Thu, 7/7/11, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> From: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [PD] GOP Rendering Issue
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Christian Haines" <christian.haines at adelaide.edu.au>, Pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 9:10 PM
> On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 09:32 -0700,
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > I tested the patch from
> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3030159&group_id=55736&atid=478070
> > with pd-l2ork (Pd version
> 0.42.5-extended-l2ork-20110427)
> > and every time I clicked the tgl in the parent patch
> it put me into
> > edit mode. (Doesn't
> > do that in pd vanilla).
> >

> OK, I just investigated this and the reason the edit mode
> is enabled
> because I never encountered a need to dynamically change
> GOPs this way
> and thus treated changes in canvas properties as editing of
> a patch
> which (as a courtesy) automatically enables editing mode.
> The same goes
> for editing of any other object's properties. e.g. create a
> vslider,
> exist the editing mode, right-click on the vslider and
> select
> properties, and the editing mode will be automatically
> enabled.

Ok, now that I understand how it works, that's not a bad assumption, IMO.  If people want to do dynamic GOP sizing they can just use the "coords" message instead of "donecanvasdialog".  (And I checked in Pd-l2ork, and "coords" doesn't change to edit mode, so this should work fine.)

> If you think this should not be the case we are facing a
> discrepancy--whereas some editing actions automatically
> enable editing
> mode, others don't.

I think "coords" behavior should stay as it is, and this will be consistent:

vsl "size" message = no edit mode change

is like:

canvas "coords" message = no edit mode change

and:

bringing up vsl dialog = edit mode

is like:

bringing up subpatch/canvas dialog = edit mode

So even though the user can technically send a "donecanvasdialog" message, in doing so they are simulating whatever happens when you close the canvas dialog box (and getting whatever behavior becomes associated with that).  In other words, there's no good reason for a user to send "donecanvasdialog" manually (right?).

-Jonathan