[PD] PdDroidParty v72

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Jul 8 02:54:22 CEST 2011

Hi Patrick,

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:29:20PM +0000, Pagano, Patrick wrote:
> Will droid party work with udpsend?

As Pedro said, yep.

PdDroidParty is libpd under the hood, which is vanilla Pd. Basically anything which works in Miller's Pd should work in PdDroidParty (although not every GUI is fully emulated yet, and there are restrictions on patching style - you have to use send/receive instead of directly connecting GUIs).

I am now also bundling a few abstractions on the website (droidparty-abstractions.zip) and most those are also emulated in PdDroidParty's GUI. This means you can put e.g. a 2d [touch] surface in your patch in vanilla Pd and also have it show up in PdDroidParty on your device (i.e. kaospad). I am also working on [menubang] which is a bang in Pd that gets it's own menu entry on the device and a bang is sent when it is pressed - good for saving patch parameters for example. Another one I am using a bit is called [wordbutton] which is a bang in Pd that shows up as a button with a word on it on the device.

My aim is to really make things work exactly the same way whether you are developing on your PC or playing on your device. Hopefully "write once, run everywhere" - every device that is. This was born out of a frustration with trying to port patches to the RjDj platform and having to build my own GUIs there from images and #touch events.

http://mccormick.cx/projects/PdDroidParty

At some point I expect it to be trivial to package up Pd patches as standalone Android applications.

Cheers,

Chris.