[PD] pdcon.org off and spammed

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jul 9 18:29:38 CEST 2011

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Marco Donnarumma wrote:

> I was surfing for pd papers and found this http://pdcon.org/ for the
> conference in Brazil, but it's offline. There's a fancy, spammy pink
> page instead.

Same thing happened to the 2ième congrès in Montréal, and I don't remember
how I found the former IP address of pure-data.ca, but I did find it after
about one hour of searching.

After that, I edited my /etc/hosts file in order to fake the old DNS (that
part is really easy). I couldn't just type the IP address in the browser,
because for that IP addresses there were many domains and the webserver
had to know that I wanted pure-data.ca.

Then I made an automated copy of much of the site's content, and put it at
http://pure-data.artengine.ca/ , but only as static, because I didn't have
FTP access... note that I did that without any help from anyone, which
means that it might be possible for someone to make a backup of much of
the 3rd convention's site without any help from anyone either (?).