[PD] Pd-extended 0.43 updates: lots of new editing features

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sun Jul 10 19:32:34 CEST 2011

On Jul 10, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Ignacio Aguirre wrote:
>
>> wow, sad to read no 64-bit builds of gem on os x yet... think i will
>> still use 0.42.5 with no problems for me :)
>
> Can the 32-bit QuickTime API work at all in 64-bit mode ? It could
> explain some things... I remember that Apple designed some things as
> if 64-bit would never happen, and then when was the time to support
> 64-bit mode, they came up with a new QuickTime interface that is
> very much different and won't run on OSX-10.4.
>
> As a result, a different GEM component would have to be written to
> support the new QuickTime. Correct me if I'm wrong. No, two of them,
> one for the movie files, one for the cameras.
>
> I'm not saying that this is what prevents Gem from building at
> all... I'm not talking about that kind of problem. But to get a full
> 64-bit release, much of QuickTime support code has to be rewritten.

AFAIK, Quicktime is dead at 32-bit, and there is a totally new API for
64-bit.  Check gem-dev for more info, Chris Clepper has posted more
about it.  But since gmerlin, gstreamer and other backends work on Mac
OS X and work in 64-bit, Gem could be build for 64-bit Mac OS X using
those.  Then that would lose the highly optimized backend stuff in
Quicktime.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.